Saturday, June 21, 2008

Achievements

For the past 3 days in a row I've taken the kids to the pool. The older three finished their swim lessons a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was time for them to practice their newfound skills. (Or in a couple of cases skills they tried with all their might to avoid learning!) Micah was fearful of putting his face in the water whilst swimming around without being held up. Colin was terrified of jumping off the diving board or going any deeper than 6 feet. All the convincing in the world wasn't going to change Colin's mind otherwise. So I think I'll just let them play around and not push the issue and see what happens.

Whaddya know? Micah is now our little fishy and Colin can't get enough of the diving board! He's even attempted diving off the diving board (ended up belly-flopping). So we practiced off the side of the wall. It's amazing! I guess sometimes, instead of coercing, it's better to plant a seed and they might end up doing something with it all on their own!

While at the pool, I'm insistent that Ella keep her lifejacket on. It's too much for one person to be completely vigilant over small children swimming. That takes a little of the stress off. But she has a ball anyway. Mira Catherine is completely fearless. She has no concept that she could inhale a bunch of water. She tries with her might to squirm out of my arms and do her own thing in the water. Her thing now is to 'swim' (with the help of mom) to the side of the pool, climb out (I try to make her do as much of that as possible on her own), and turn back to jump in to me. You should see the look on her face. Pure glee. Bouncing around, excited for the jump. She doesn't seem to be bothered by the water that gets in her face.

Air conditioning has been on my mind a lot lately. Must have something to do with living with a swamp cooler for the past 3 summers during the killer summer months. I know we're moving next year, but I'm sooooo ready for a cooler house. I had someone come out yesterday to do a bid for it. It's a little more than I was hoping, but not so much more that I wouldn't do it! Chad wants to be convinced that we'll get our money back when we sell next year. I hope that's the case, what do you all think? I'm just dreading another summer without it, now that the temps just starting to climb. Help me convince Chad!

1 comment:

Blake & Maren said...

I can't imagine that the AC won't appreciate your home. I couldn't live without it. I guess I am a big sissy. I am proud of my swimming nieces and nephews.