Monday, September 8, 2008

Bedtime Stories

We did our Family Home Evening tonight. Mira Catherine started us out with some songs (Book of Mormon Stories; Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes; etc.). Colin read a few different entries from the Friend magazine about baptism, missions, and temples. Somehow he managed to tie all these points together and close with his testimony. It amazes me to watch him grow and learn. In seven short years he's reading, thinking independently, and creating. I'd made chocolate and banana puddings for the treat, which the kids were not pleased with. But they all ended up eating it happily. So FHE was successful tonight.

It's funny how sometimes you can put in so much effort to make things nice (like dinner or FHE), just to see it blow up in your face. Dinner's almost always a fiasco in our house. It is truly the 'witching hour' for us. The kids (and I, in fact!) are cranky and hungry. I'm trying to get everything out on the table. Mira Catherine's pulling on my clothes trying to get me to pick her up. The others just keep on me about being so hungry, this being the most disgusting thing I've ever made-"Why do you make this all the time, Mom?", and wanting to read a book. By the time we sit down to eat I could really use a good massage and ibuprofen. The eating part of dinner lasts under 10 minutes usually. We can't keep them at the table any longer! Then it's clean-up time. So all this prep-work for under 10 minutes of possible enjoyment. But we do try to make the time fun. We talk about school, joke around (I know we're a little too sarcastic for our own good!), and laugh. We sit down together each night because it's the right thing to do. A lot of work's involved. I know all you more experienced mothers out there have stories about that. But I'm just learning. I try to keep a positive attitude. I know by doing this we're creating our family tradition and building strong bonds between members of the family.

After a brief FHE, it was straight off to the baths for kids. Chad and I have fine-tuned bedtime. He takes care of the boys, and I'm on the girls. It works out very well. Ella gets a book read, or a bedtime story. The story almost always involves princesses, fairies, something sparkly, or flying. Chad's stories are generally Star Wars-related. The kids and Chad have watched together 'Star Wars', 'The Empire Strikes Back', and 'The Return of the Jedi' over the past couple of weeks. I think the boys insist on these bedtime stories. Then Colin will ask obscure questions about how old Yoda was when he died (luckily Chad knew the answer to that one), and questions I have no answer for. It's funny how 'into' it they are!

1 comment:

shelley evans said...

It's hard right now, but someday that will be one of the best times of everyone's day. I fond memories of the lovely meals Gramma prepared and how we all sat down and talked...long after the food on the dishes had hardened.