Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Volunteers Needed

Today was Chad's day off. We split the day so that one of us gets to be in Micah's classroom in the morning, and the other does Colin's in the afternoon. It's really a great way to see how they interact with their peers, follow directions, etc. I was in Micah's class today. I know I'm there for Micah, but today he was a little clingy. I had to pry him from my leg several times so I wouldn't be a distraction to the rest of the class! This volunteering stuff is a lot of fun. All the kids think you're awesome. Especially if you're a dad.

We had stake conference this weekend. Saturday evening was the adult session. Chad stayed home with the kids and I went. Wow, it was amazing how much I got out of that meeting! Is it possible for your kids to be a hindrance to spiritual growth? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! But it was inspirational. I don't think I've been able to ever focus on a meeting like that in a long time. They talked a lot about temple work. Can I be completely honest? I've never caught the vision of family history. Chad's done tons of research for my side of the family. I'll take these names and the ladies will comment how wonderful it is that I've done all this work. I cannot take the credit! But I digress...my point is, Saturday evening, I think I caught a vision of it. Our stake has a goal to index a certain number of names. For those of you who don't know what indexing is (like me up until a few days ago), it's where you get a page from, say a 1870 census in New York. You look at the handwritten info and type it into a form. It's really simple and interesting. Unless you get a funky old-style written name. They can be tough to decipher. So I'm doing indexing! And I love it. It's addicting. And I feel it's a way I can contribute. From the comfort of my own home. If any one's interested in indexing and needs direction, just ask. We can help get you started.

1 comment:

Blake and Maren said...

I am sure it is so nice for each of you to get into their classrooms. I bet dad's don't come in so often. The teachers are probably very impressed.

I can't wait for the Relief Society Broadcast this weekend. It will be nice to have a night for my spiritual growth. Plus I am going with a bunch of fun girls.