Thursday, November 13, 2008

And for Dinner...

Okay, all you mothers who have this mothering-thing down: how do you fit it all in? School, homework, extracurricular activities, dinner, exercise, prayer and scriptures... Somehow we manage, but it's like we barely squeak by some days! Take today for example: wake up, scriptures, get ready, school and exercise, run errands, snacks, homework, piano practice, tennis, rush-home-and-throw-some-grilled-cheese-sandwiches-together...Colin to basketball, kids in bed. WHEW!! Honestly, it's a good life. Some days, if I were to make a list of what the day would hold, I might want to just roll over in bed and stay there! But we "get 'er done".

I think one of the most important things of the day is mealtime. They say (you know, 'they') that mealtime should be relaxing, enjoyable, and a time without criticism and irritation. Now that is something I could work on. By the time I'm getting dinner on the table, every one's starved and I can't make everyone happy. Then we sit down and it's "Ella, you're going to spill your milk!", "Micah, leave her alone," "Colin, would you stop banging the plate with your fork?", and "Mira Catherine, you definitely need a bath now!" I'd love some tips on how I can cool it and make it more relaxing for everyone (maybe mostly me!!).

4 comments:

Maren said...

Dinner at my house is crazy and I only have 1 child. I try to do it all, but obviously can't. You are an inspiration to me.

Doug and Rachel said...

Hey,
We understand the stress and the "lack of relaxing" thing too. One thing we've tried is scriptures right after dinner and letting the kids have a treat (one piece of candy) to help them listen, and it also keeps their mouths closed momentarily. Doug learned this from the Spackman's; they always finished dinner, stayed at the table, and shared a fun dessert while talking about their days and other random things. We've enjoyed talking to the kids about school and such, and although some days it doesn't last long, it's a consistent tradition. Otherwise, you can't really fit everything in - I've had to be content with doing some things only once a week, of course there are some things you can't do that with, especially with young children. I hate it when I feel like I haven't held the baby all day because I've had to get things done that I can't with her in arms. We love you guys! It's great to keep in touch this way!

Jennettehogan said...

Oh Nicole! We have so much in common! I am so happy to know that I am not the only one dreading dinner time some nights (and lets just throw FHE in there too). I know all the hard work we as parents do is so worth it in the end! :) It is just so rewarding to know that all this effort and work we put into something has a huge payoff!

Chris Miller said...

Nicole, I feel like you've been peeking in my kitchen window at dinner time...and I only have one child! =P Earlier this week Christian drew a family picture for school and, in addition to making Chris look like a tree (which I found pretty funny), he gave me four arms. I think that pretty much sums up being a mom.