Saturday, January 24, 2009

Birthday Prep

Ella is so gung-ho about her birthday cake. Every time I get online, she wants to look at all the Barbie cakes we can find. As soon as she saw this one, she knew it was her destiny:

So I'm going to attempt it. I went out and purchased a basic cake-decorating kit with frosting bags, tips, etc. Ella and I went through her dolls and chose the one to go on top. We shampooed and conditioned her hair, combed through it (try doing that to nasty Barbie hair!), and set it. Here's a minor snag: note the swan on top of the cake (The title of the cake is 'Swan Lake'). We have no such swan. However, Micah and Ella came up with a most brilliant solution. We have some random goose we got out of a kids' meal of some sort. Micah suggested we bury the long legs into the cake, thus making it appear more swan-like, clever child. And easier than tracking down a toy swan, thank you very much.

I shall post my attempt at this cake after Ella's birthday, which happens to be Wednesday.

We were in Costco the other day...speaking of Costco, who can get out of that store without spending 4 times more than you'd planned?? Anyway, we're in Costco, you know, making rounds on all the food samples and such, when Ella spots these huge kites on display. All she sees is there's an enormous princess kite in a box and is determined she's got to have it. So, I'm thinking, "I don't really have any plans for a birthday present for her, so why not?" The mistake was then placing it in the basket and proceeding to checkout. She's whining the whole time, "I want one of those, Mom! Please, please, please can I have one?" She doesn't even know what the thing is, other than it's princess-something. And I kind of sort of maybe fibbed to her and told her Grandma had asked me to pick one up for her classroom. Dumb, I know. Later that evening, I'm thinking, why did I buy her a kite when it's the middle of winter in Utah. No kite-flying weather going to be visiting us for some time. How retarded can I be?

5 comments:

Jennettehogan said...

Oooh, Costco is evil. It is a very rare moment when I can get in and out of there with ONLY the things on my list.....

Maren said...

I can't wait to see the cake you make. I am sure it will be great, especially since you let her choose what goes on top.

And Blake just laughed when he read your Costco comment, because it's so true. Kite's are always something to look forward to.

shelley evans said...

You bought the kite because you were a California kid. It's good kite weather right now and for the next couple of months.

Maren said...

The finger was a staph infection but is getting better. I have a really really bad sinus infection. She said my whole left side is swollen lymph nodes. As for the bump, she says it could be a gland or lymph node, but it feels like a cyst. She has me on some good antibiotics, if the bump doesn't go down within 2 weeks then I am off to see my real doctor.

Amber said...

That cake is so cute! I'm glad you are brave enough to attempt it. If I did, it might look like a big blob of cake. I'm sure you will do a great job just like you always do! Can't wait to see pictures.