Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bows and Hot Glue Burns

How long have I been blogging and I still cannot seem to understand what pictures and videos will be uploaded in what order. So this is all screwed up according to my original designs...No matter.
I guess you could say I've got some creative juices flowing--well, for my standards, anyway! My friend, Emily, a self-described hobby-junkie, brought over all her bow-making goodies to teach me the skill. Well, she had all these adorable bows she'd already made. I basically copied a few of them. I was feeling rather impressed with my ability to imitate her. Below are the bows I made. (Don't bother enlarging them, they're still terribly blurry.)

Tonight I took a trip to Michael's and picked up some supplies for myself. I tried my hand at a few bows. For some reason, I feel lost without Emily around to guide me and tell me she's not a perfectionist and it's no big deal if it comes out goofy. Not to mention I seemed less coordinated with the hot glue gun! So the ones above are those I did on my own.

I can see how you could get better at this! And it could be addicting. Hopefully they'll improve as I practice more. We'll see. If nothing else, even the semi-dorky ones still look cute in the girls' hair. Ella likes wearing them. If Mira Catherine realizes she's wearing one, there's a good chance it's gonna get ripped out of her hair. I'm expecting to lose a number of bows this way...






video

Here is Ella's attempt at singing a High School Musical song. You can tell she's trying to keep the beat and figure how to get the right words out of her mouth. It's just not quick enough. Just a snippet of a video, but I thought it was funny.

5 comments:

Maren said...

I want a little girl so I can make bows. I am sure they look great. Are the bows for Ella and Mira or just Mira? I expect a lesson from you when I have a girl.

The video of Ella is so cute. I sure love that girl.

Rachael said...

Cute bows!!! I have dreams of collections of darling hand-made bows for my kids, and where did I find myself late Friday night searching for bows for Saturday morning's pictures? Not in my boxes of ribbons, hot glue and clips... The Quilted Bear.

buildingburkmemories said...

well way to go on the bow making, on my blog there is a web site to check out it's called hair today and it has all neat hair styles on it and it does a step to step guide on making bows and things,and they have all kinds to make and then there are some to buy as well, but you will have to check it out, if you enjoyed making your bows. I like them, very cute!!!!!!

Doug and Rachel said...

Bows are fun; a lady in our stake makes and sells them and I bought two -fun. I know what you mean about the 'raising your voice thing'- it's true, that sometimes they won't listen and ignore you until you make yourself heard! I think the keeping an even voice only works with older kids; I think the problem is that every child is different and they react to different parenting styles but we are only one parent! It's figuring out which style is best for each kid and then using it at the appropriate times-hard!! I think if I could have the spirit telling me what to do at every minute of the day that would help - pass on the tips, yeah. I also agree about Ella's nightgown - if they made our clothes as cute as kid clothes .. ..

Jennettehogan said...

cute bows! The pink ones that Adrienne came home with are adorable. You did a great job! I am not all that crafty, but if I were, I would get into the bow making thing. It would certainly be easier (and cheaper!) than always buying them...