Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Parenting Class

Sunday, Chad casually mentioned a parenting class that our church was going to offer. He thought it would be a neat thing to attend, but understood it probably wasn't going to happen because who's gonna watch the kids while we're gone? Well I got so excited about the class, we are figuring that if Mom Barnett, Amber, and my mom rotate Sundays (it's an 11 week course!), it would be manageable. I think it's going to work. I'm thrilled. It's just what the doctor ordered. I can be a miserable excuse for a mother at different moments throughout the day.

I was not going to be the mother who was always raising her voice. Surprise! But, you know, how the heck else are you going to get their attention sometimes?! Someone once said that in the home voices shouldn't be raised unless it's to call out that there's fire. Well, I'd really love to be a fly on the wall of that home. I don't know what it is! We are an active bunch.

Take tonight, for example. The boys thought it would be clever to stagger all the shoes and snow boots down the stairs and bounce a baseball down the steps (not a quiet game, mind you!) to see if they could make it into one of the shoes. When they did, it was all screams of glee and shouting out of points earned. I thought I was going to burst an eardrum.

Have you ever seen "Jon and Kate Plus Eight"? I crack up over Jon and Kate and the irritations they deal with daily. And I am NOT judging them. I don't have 8 kids under 8, or multiples. But it's reality. Jon and Kate get edgy with each other and sometimes rather snippety, but during the interview, you can tell they love each other. There is nothing to stress a couple like having kids. Can I get an "A-MEN!"?

Tactics you've used to combat impatience, irritability, raising of voices, etc. ...Please? You see, this is why I need the class! I'll try to share a few pearls I may glean from this class. Oh, and it's taught be a couple of our neighbors who have 9 of their own. The mother is amazing. Patient, kind, always looking for ways to help others. I'm really looking forward to this.

2 comments:

Maren said...

First off, you are an incredible mom. I do understand how you feel though. I swear I am such a lazy mom and I only have 1 kid.

When are they doing the class? Is it on Sunday or once night during the week? I would love some advice that you learn during the class. I can only imagine how it is to have 4 kids. The thought of 2 freaks me out.

I miss you! I will have to call you sometime tomorrow and visit.

Jennettehogan said...

Oh - I wish that they would have offered that while we were still in the ward - I definitely would have attended. I am right there with you though, some days are just so stressfull and I worry if I am doing a good job or not. I wish that I could be a fly on the wall in anyone's house with young children because most days I think our house is abnormally chaotic