Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Evening

Here's a great spaghetti recipe from Reader's Digest using the crock pot:

Meaty Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage (I recommend mild!) cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
2 cans (15 oz each) tomato sauce
2 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tbs dried basil
2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Hot cooked spaghetti

In large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and paste, sugar, and seasonings; mix well. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve over spaghetti. Makes plenty!

Ella couldn't get enough. Micah enjoyed it. Once Mira settled down after an argument over her wearing an apron, she ate well, as did Chad and I. Colin decided long ago he does NOT like spaghetti.

Since we had extra time this evening (no parenting class today) I gave the boys and Chad haircuts this evening. While I was cutting his hair, I was reminding Colin how it used to be. We would have a drag-out screaming fit on our hands to get his hair cut. Chad would have to put him in a full-nelson. We tried Popsicles, suckers, movies...everything to get the job done. I finally gave up on the hair cutting and paid for the haircuts for several months. He finally grew out of that, hooray. He thought that was so hilarious.

2 comments:

Jennettehogan said...

Oooh, sounds like a great recipe. I love cooking in the crock pot. ALL the kids like spaghetti which is a big plus - escept Adrienne and Jack dont like sauce (just noodles, parm cheese, and butter)
I think I am going to cook this later in the week!!!

Amber said...

I saw on Maren's blog the recipe for the southwest chicken. I made it today and it was so good. I shredded the chicken and then wrapped it up in tortillas, like a burrito. I'm going to make it again. It was easy. 5 ingredients, that's my kind of cooking. You should make a blog of your recipes. I know I would use it.