Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Chad took Ella on a daddy/daughter date a few days ago. He's recognized the need to get to know Ella better. (In this effort, he's been reading 'Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters' by Meg Meeker.) They went to Dillard's and she chose this little ballerina outfit, which she absolutely adores. They played at a playground, and got ice cream. He noticed that when it's just one-on-one it's so much more peaceful and enjoyable. I know Mira is counting down to her turn next week!
Speaking of, here she is! I'd taken her out shopping with me, and she spied this little getup. Now, I rarely just make a frilly spontaneous purchase, but the look on her face when she saw this did it for me. And it's got these cheap-o plastic heeled shoes which she thinks are the bee's knees. So I bought it. And it was worth the joy it brought!!
For Memorial Day we were all stoked to go hiking Waterfall Canyon. We'd totally talked it up (mostly to gear up the girls for the long hike!) and everyone was soooo excited! For the first 45 minutes of the hike, I'm enjoying myself, but in the back of my mind wondering how long the girls will actually make it. We had the backpack child carrier, but we really didn't want to have to use it for Mira unless we absolutely had to. I mean, 38 extra pounds on your back definitely adds stress to the body.
I must say, Mira did rather well. I was pleasantly surprised. That's not to say she didn't spend a fair amount of time in the carrier (Chad and I took turns), but she walked quite a bit, too. And Ella was terrific. Going up was better than coming down, but we had a great time! We estimate it was a 5-6 mile hike and it took us 3 1/2 hours, enjoying the waterfall and everything. Quite the morning for our little crew!
They loved exploring the rocks, insects, dogs we passed, the stream, etc.
My darlings!!
Chad, the master, carrying both girls partway down.
We got back, everyone was pretty pooped, but we all wanted to swim at the Ogden Athletic Club. It was a terrific family day.

3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

The hike pictures are so beautiful. We all loved the photo of all the kids together. It captures each of their personalities. Chad is such a good father and you mother. I just love those kids. Keep the posts coming.

Rebecca said...

Looks like a great trip! Your kids are amazing! Ella freaks out after a 4-block walk for us! : /

Jennettehogan said...

Wow - your hike looked beautiful. I totally want to do that with my kids this summer - soon - before it gets too hot!!