Monday, June 15, 2009

No Treats for You!


Tonight Chad had a cute little family home evening all planned. Each person was going to perform/use a CD to share 2 of his favorite songs. I don't know what went wrong, but after muddling through the song portion, all the kids got sent to bed without a treat. And if you've ever had any experience with 'family home evening' (spending 1 evening a week as a family to teach gospel principles, have fun, share talents, etc.), it is truly not a FHE without a treat. Poor kids. And I'd made these absolutely delicious treats, too. I guess they're going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I got this recipe from a friend-of-a-friend's blog. (I get nosy when I have time on my hands.) The picture is hers, as well as the recipe. And it's sinfully divine!

The cookies pictured above were actually a double batch. I made them in a big silver cookie sheet instead of the 9x13 pan. It took 2 cake mixes, a whole 12 oz bag of mini marshmellows, and a few extra peanuts. It is a very forgiving recipe so do as you please. I think the cake crust is too thick if it is in a 9x13 pan, but that is just my preference.
Salted Nut Roll Cookies
1 yellow cake mix
1/3 c. softened butter
1 egg
mini marshmallows
Combine ingredients, except the marshmallows, and press into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350' F for 10-12 mins. Top the crust with a layer of marshmellows (about 3-4 c.) and bake another 3 mins. Remove from the oven and cool. When it is cool top with peanut mixture and refrigerate. When set cut into squares and serve. They keep best in the fridge.
Peanut Topping
1 pkg. peanut butter chips
2/3 c. corn syrup
1/4 c. butter
2 t. vanilla
2 c. salted peanuts
In a microwave bowl combine chips, corn syrup and butter and microwave for 3 mins. Stir until chips and butter are melted. Add vanilla and peanuts. Mix well. Pour over cooled cookie. I haven't tried this variation, but I think the 1 c. brown sugar, 1 c. peanut butter, and 1 c. corn syrup melted on the stove would work just as well. Give it a try.

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I can picture everyone getting sent to bed, that's so funny. The treats look amazing and let me assure you, I WILL be making them sometime this week.

As for FHE, ours last about 2 minutes before Braden is up and going. I can't imagine having 4 kids to try and entertain.

Doug and Rachel said...

The treats look awesome! I understand the FHE fiasco. It happens sometimes, but oh well. You´re doing the right thing anyway.

Mom wants to comment too. She´s here at the internet cafe with me in Spain:

Dear Nicole,
Loveeeeeee Youuuuu!!!!!! Also love all of you. we are having such a great time. We have mentioned how great it would be to have you all here with us. It really is just like a postcard. It is so picturesque and quaint. The coastal breezes, blue, blue skies, warmth. Well you get the picture. We will tell you more later and also send pictures.
I love you all so much and miss you. Hope you all are enjoying your summer. The kids are all so cute and impish just like yours.
Take care. I´ll email again when we get back from our trip. say hi to chad.
Love,
Mom