Wednesday, August 26, 2009

There's Always Tomorrow

Worst mother of the day award? Right here. It was fine until the boys come in from school. From then on out it's pretty much me getting on them the rest of the afternoon. Okay, not straight. And we did have a couple of nice moments. But Colin said it well when he said, "I had a good day at school and soccer and piano (can we say 'full plate'??) but before school and after school weren't good." (That would be the time he was home.)

I'm tired of being asked to explain my reasons for things. Tired of complaining and whining. Tired of being expected to pick up after everyone. Tired of making breakfast/lunch/dinner that at least someone is going to complain about. Tired of neighbor kids coming over and ringing, knocking, ringing, knocking, coming in the backyard. Tired of schedules.

But tomorrow will be better. I'm determined to make it so. Colin asked, "When you're mad do you feel like you want to be happy?" I thought about it a minute and said, "The spirit of contention is of the devil, really. So a lot of times, when we feel grumpy, we want to stay that way." I guess we all needed a change in attitude. A good night's sleep can do wonders.

Side note: Tomorrow I'm getting a red piece of construction paper and am writing on it: No Friends Right Now. I will then explain to our neighbor friends that when they see this on the door they need not knock or ring or help themselves to our backyard because it is not time to play with friends. Sometimes we just need quiet time. Or sibling time. And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think kids get enough of it much of the time. I don't need to feel like I have to explain myself to anyone. It's just the way it's going to be. Now only if my kids would get that...

No comments: