Sunday, September 27, 2009

Diabetes Walk

We had a great Saturday. The worst thing that happened was that I walked out the door without the camera. Darn. I had been a busy morning getting the house in order for a showing and everyone out the door on time. At least the camera was the only thing I forgot.

Chad signed us up for the Diabetes Walk in Salt Lake. It was held at This Is the Place Heritage Park. We'd never actually gone into the park and we discovered how fantastic it was. The walk itself ended up being a self-guided tour throughout the village. The kids enjoyed it all. We walked through several homes that had been moved from other areas of Utah and were placed in the park. One home was a tiny one-room home with one double bed. This housed a man, his two wives, and their 10 children. Actually, the first wife had no children, so she elected to have a small lean-to built outside of the home for her to sleep in so the second wife could be indoors with her children. The 3 girls slept on the floor and the 7 boys were in the tight loft. During warmer weather, the kids would all sleep outside.

I walked through there wondering how they all managed to cook their meals and eat in that one house. It made me realize the luxuries we enjoy today. There was never an end to work. No vacations. If you weren't cooking, you were spinning your own wool, cleaning and dying it. You were washing clothes. Doing work in the garden. Sewing clothes. Repairing all sorts of things. It was amazing.

One home we went into had belonged to the Draper family, an ancestor of Chad's.

Up the road were tee pees and mud huts of the Shoshone and Navajo tribes, respectively. Apparently, the park has tried to get other indian tribes to have displays, but there are conflicts between tribes over land and whatnot. So those 2 tribes were the only ones represented. Interesting.

The kids took a sweet little train ride around a lake up against a spectacular view of the Salt Lake Valley. I really wished I'd brought my camera!

After the Village, we headed over to the zoo. Ella was dead-set on seeing a tortoise, for some reason. We kept hearing about it for 45 minutes until we came upon him. Then she was satisfied. Well, until she saw the carousel. Then she pestered us until we did that. Micah wanted to see the penguins. We reminded everyone of the time we brought Colin to see those penguins as a toddler and he threw his blue fishing hat into the water and it had to be fished out. We got to see the new baby elephant. So sweet, there with his mother. There was also a baby giraffe, just as adorable. And a baby croc of some sort. Sweet!

We were totally pooped by the time we left the zoo, dragging ourselves to the car, parked too far away. Stopped to eat at Wendy's. I got taken by a couple of scammers. Addicts, I'm sure. I hate to even recount the situation because I've tried to forget how gullible I was. I overheard (or was meant to overhear ) a man who was in dire straights with his wife's wallet lost, their little girl in Primary Children's, and not enough money for a motel. So I helped them out. Afterward, Chad told me he was surprised I did that because he thought they were scamming. Going over the details again, I realized some of them didn't match up and contradicted each other. I felt sick. Not that I'd lost the money, but that I was taken like that. If I'm going to help someone, I don't want to have to worry about whether they're genuine or not. It just made me sick.

But the evening ended nicely. Chad dropped me off to meet up with some ladies at the Conference Center for the Relief Society General Conference broadcast. We enjoyed ourselves and went out to eat and visit afterward. A lovely end to the day.

3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

What a busy but fun day. I am sad that you didn't bring the camera. It sounds like we need to make a trip of to the park. I also have never been to the SLC Zoo. I am glad you had a good time, even if you were trying to be generous. Maybe they weren't scammers. You are a charitable person, just think of it that way.

Babelicious said...

We went to the "This is the Place" park for one of our outings this summer and it was definately our favorite one of the summer. So much basic fun for the kids and it really does make you appreciate all we have now!! I'm glad you guys had fun! You'll have to go back next year so you can get pics!

Doug and Rachel said...

I think that's the same one Sara was doing with Landon for his diabetes; you didn't see them there did you? Ella's school pics were cute - I wish Kate were as willing to go to German kindergarten; your mom said you didn't like it either - oh well! I hope she grows out of it next year! I'm sorry about Mira's hair, we've done that one too and now we all have short hair! It was good to hear from you the other day and thanks for all you guys do and your great examples to us! We are amazed at all you do! Love ya tons!