Sunday, September 20, 2009

Our Little Do-It-Yourselfer

I guess I wasn't getting through raising children scott-free. I thought myself one of those lucky few whose children hadn't butchered their own hair. Mira showed me otherwise. Friday I was out mowing and doing yardwork (getting ready for a showing the next day). I hadn't seen or heard from her in a little while. Every time one of the kids would come running outside I'd ask if they'd seen her. Nope. I kept getting that nagging feeling that I really should go check on her. But I wanted to finish what I'd started and thought the worst that could be happening was Mira was getting into the pantry and there were crunched crackers all over.

Well, I run into the house as soon as I'm finished outside and the first thing that tips me off is the horrific sight of a long clump of blond hair on the couch. Then I see a few more clumps on the couch. I call out, "Mira!!!! Come here!" hoping to stop whatever damage might be in progress. I notice more chunks of hair on the living room floor, down the hall. Mira comes out to meet me and I see what I'd been dreading. I couldn't even be mad. All I said was, "Mira, what did you do to your hair?" I was sooo sad! She just started crying and I held her. When she finally settled down she asked, "You happy Mom?" I replied, "No, I'm not happy. I'm really sad because you cut your hair off." We both went down the hall, following the trail of hair and ended up in my bathroom, where the hair scissors were (along with yet more hair!).

I immediately called the hair salon we go to and made an emergency appointment. The hairdresser, bless her heart, did the best she could with what she had to work with. So Mira got a nice short a-lined bob which happens to have bangs cut to the scalp in the front.

I know, I know, I should've got pictures of the scene I discovered as I found it. I thought about it, but was honestly too traumatized to do it. Mira is definitely aware that she did something to her hair that draws attention. Whenever people start to talk about it in front of her, she looks at me and scoots really close to be comforted. Poor thing. Well, there's more to love of her than just her hair.
Here's a shot where you might be able to see the bangs (or what's left of them).
And the short front plus the right side of her head she whacked.
Now this side of her head looks quite scraggly and thin since there's only a top layer of hair covering her head (I've pulled up that layer so you can see the sections that she cut).

But, still pleased as punch with herself as you can see!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

You wish if they cut their hair they wouldn't clip right at the scalp. Why not just take a couple of inches off the bottom. I let my friend cut my bangs in 6th grade and they looked very similar to Mira's. We live and learn.