Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What Good Little Boys They Are

Today Colin amazed me. He's 8 (and 1/2 he insists I inform people) and just finished the first book in the Harry Potter series. He started about 4 days ago, staying up til past 10pm, reading at bedtime. Today, with half the book left, he finished it. I mean, devoured it. Food held no interest, computer games and play were far from his mind. I am sure I never read anything as meaty as that book at his age. It blew me away! He needed help with definitions here and there, but not as much as I might have expected. Whatta boy!

And as for my Micah, he woke up this morning and brought his Book of Mormon upstairs and began reading an entire page by himself. After reading, he requested a bookmark to keep track of where he was. He told me something along the lines of, "Mom, I think if we read the scriptures every morning we will have a better day." From the mouths of babes! Later in the day, without being prompted, he went into Ella's room (while she was paying no attention to him) and totally organized her room: made her bed, straightened her shoes, books, toys. I was so proud!

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

These are such good stories. I am so proud of my nephews. They are incredible little boys. Just think of the missionaries they will be someday. I will need to make sure Braden follows their examples.

alan barnett said...

What great and sweet grandchildren we have. Everyone is so unique. I'm sure you parents have something to do with that. Great examples and great parents.