Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

This is a really great food co-op that I've known about for some time, but only recently tried out. I shouldn't have waited so long. What a great way to get wonderful fruits, veggies, and breads. Just in the past three weeks we've tried things I would not normally buy: persimmon, parsnips, collard greens, brussel sprouts, pomegranate, etc. I'm trying them alone in simple dishes, and will branch out more and more as I get used to preparing them.

The kids really especially enjoyed the pomegranate. We decided it reminds us of a mini Popsicle. They are discovering this earth has an abundance of varied foods. We're not confined to apples, bananas, peas, and broccoli. I'm loving it!

If you live in Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Washington, or Texas, there may be a co-op near you. You can check it out here: http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/

You place your order online (and you want to be one of the first ones on when they open up the website for orders--Mondays at 8pm for Utahans). Pickup is Saturday morning around 7am. Every 8 weeks you're supposed to show up about an hour early to help unload the truck and divvy out the goods. (Honor system.)

If you can, try it once!

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I just noticed they have one in Pullman. Is it worth the money? It looks like it is $15. I will give it a try this week and let you know.

P.S. I heard about Micah. I am glad to hear he is ok.

Jennettehogan said...

I love Bountiful Baskets!! I started ordering from them about a year ago and do it about twice a month! Yum!