Sunday, January 30, 2011

Micah's Baptism Preview

Tonight Chad and I were able to go to Micah's Baptism Preview. This is where all the children who will be turning eight this year meet, along with their parents and the Primary Presidency to go over what baptism entails. Helping them understand the logistics with the program, going into the font, etc. And overcoming any fears the kids might have.

What a wonderful program! It was so organized and geared right at the children. As I sat there, listening, Micah reached over Chad to me and looked right in my eyes and told me he loved me. Then he told me again. And he reached out for my hand. At that moment I felt how much I love this boy I have the privilege of raising and teaching and loving. He changed seats so he was right in between Chad and me. We sang, "I'm Trying to be Like Jesus" and I heard his sweet voice singing those words. It came to me how, in my Patriarchal Blessing, I am told of strengthening my family through the singing of hymns, prayers on bended knee. I felt at that moment that the commitment Chad and I had had gotten us to this point. Our commitment to the gospel, to each other, and to our children. I thought of all the Family Home Evenings we've held, the songs we've sung together, the prayers we've said. And I felt like this is the reason we do it all. So Heavenly Father's child is taught what is necessary for him to return to Him. It is hard to put into words.

It occurred to me, as it does frequently, that having my children be this small is as a blink in time. It goes so quickly. Micah will be baptized. Next he'll receive the Aaronic Preisthood. Then, before I know it he'll be leaving for a mission (sob!). And by that time he's all grown up and moving on with a life separate from us. It's almost painful to think of. I just hope we're teaching him now everything he needs to make good choices, be strong against temptation, and be kind. He is such a good boy and a real joy.

3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

You do have one sweet little boy. We wish we could be there to celebrate with you.

Jennettehogan said...

Adrienne is so excited about getting baptised this year too. Hard to believe how fast these little ones are growing up!

Rachael said...

I love your perspective... such a good reminder.