Saturday, February 19, 2011

Micah is 8!

I am discovering how big Super Mario Bros. is these days. (All the kids in our neighborhood call it Super Mario Bros as opposed to Brothers. Is that just my neighborhood?) Micah has been so excited for his SMB themed party. He begged me to get him a pair of overalls to wear especially for this occasion. Luckily for him, I found a pair at the DI.

He invited waaay more friends than I originally had in mind. But how do I say no when he wants to be friendly with so many people? And they're all so cute! He invited over 25 and I think we had 18 come. Here he is just before the festivities begin with his little buddy, Cameron. Are they adorable, or what??
I know I have more than a couple of pictures of the cake, but I am so proud of my work, I couldn't just take one! Ella wanted to dress up as Peach from SMB. So she went digging around for all pink clothes. If you got a good look at those tights, you would notice they are littered with holes. I've got to get hold of those and toss them. I think they just keep getting thrown in the hamper, washed, and reworn. Mira pulled out her yellow dress so she could be Daisy (Luigi's gal). Micah wanted me to spray his hair black, but I just wasn't up to that.
Ta dah!
We need to see a barber about those 'staches!
I have been planning this party for weeks. (Which would explain why I'm so exhausted now that it's over!) When the kids first arrived we played a SMB version of Bingo. They loved that.
Other games were "Goomba Stomping" (brown balloons with a coin hiding inside; person with most coins wins a prize), "Hot Bomb-Omb" (Hot Potato with SMB music), "Yoshi Egg Run" (Egg on Spoon race with green spotted eggs), "Coin Search" (find hidden coins throughout the house; redeem for candy), "Find Mario" (basically a game of Sardines).
Here is the group (minus a couple who came late):
The gift-opening frenzy!
Mom and Dad popped over for the last bit of the party. Matthew just kept looking at Mom. I think he must've been wondering who was this lady who reminded him so much of Mom!
Dad did a little recording for us:
Silly Micah. He was tired of pictures.
Mario! My friend Kim (who helped me with Hello Kitty) gave me a photo of this cake she made for her son's birthday. I basically just copied it. But I was solo this time!
Mira's gotta be in a picture.
Proud Mama! This was definitely a labor of love. Except don't pester me while I'm working. I need all my concentration when it comes to artistic endeavors, seeing as it doesn't come naturally.
Ella and Mira wanted in on the birthday prep. Here they are helping me color the Yoshi eggs.
The night before the party was our family movie night. I rented "Candleshoe" with Jodi Foster. I watched this as a kid. I remember really liking it. The kids thought it was good. We call it family movie night, but rarely is it just our family. Here Micah had his friend, Landon over.
Goombas and Koopa Troopas donned our home.
On Micah's birthday wish list were more than a few item. I had him whittle it down to just a handful. These included a few Wii games. He told me several days ago that if he didn't get one of these, he might just cry on his birthday. Inside I was laughing, but I understood. Tomorrow he'll open our gift to him and I think he'll be pleased. Mom and Dad Miller got him one game he really wanted. Mom and Dad Barnett gave him cash, plus Grandpa Barnett has come up several Saturdays to work on his bedroom so it would be all finished. It's a real bedroom now and he's thrilled. So he has had a terrific 8th birthday.
We look forward to March 5th when he is baptized. What a special year this is. And what a wonderful boy we have. Here are some things that make our Micah special:
*He is very affectionate. He will readily give hugs and kisses. I don't want that to ever change!
*He dotes on Matthew. He can't stand to watch Matthew upset. The other day Matthew was doing one of those cry-so-long-you-don't-breathe cries. Micah was terribly worried and snatched him out of his jumparoo and tearfully brought him to me because he thought something was wrong. (I'd just put him in there to do something like use the bathroom. I know, as a mother I'm disallowed from doing that.)
*He doesn't care if you're a boy or a girl. He will be your friend. He probably has as many girl friends as boy friends.
*He loves to be creative: draw, write short stories.
*He is our junk collector. Except he does not view anything as junk. He's got a collection of that stuff in a box in his room, in a drawer (milk lids), in the field behind our house. I'm having to tell him, many times, "No, you can't keep that. It's sharp. It's filthy. It's dangerous."
*He will go down and start practicing piano on his own the best he can. When he needs help, I'll go down with him. It can be a frustrating experience for him, but he tries hard.
*He loves Magic Treehouse, A to Z Mysteries, Junie B. Jones, Roald Dahl's BFG, and any book his teacher reads in class.
*He's had several talkings-to about not kissing girls.
*He has a very tender heart. He is thoughtful. He wants to serve others. He is always wanting to do something to help a neighbor, a widow, etc. He is very thoughtful.
*He becomes quickly attached to school teachers, primary teachers, etc. And he always remembers them and looks up to them.
*He is very likable.

8 comments:

alan barnett said...

It looks like you had quite a party. You are so clever in coming up with theme party and games. The cake was so cute you have quite the knack in decorating them.
I agree with you on Micah he is very loving and I hope he won't lose that quality.

Babelicious said...

How fun!! My little guy has been talking about a having a Mario party. If he decides on that, I'll have to steal ALL your ideas. We'll see though, his birthday isn't until December, but he rarely changes his mind. I love reading all the little things about Micah. I have 2 girls that will be available in about 15-20 years! Can't wait to see pictures of the baptism. Good luck with your infection....those are the worst.

Jennettehogan said...

Sounds like such a fun party!! I cnnot believe that Micah is 8 - time sure goes fast!!! You are becoming quite the cake decorator! I am still going to do the Hello Kitty Cake for Adrienne this year - I am excited for it!!

Marsha said...

Seriously, did you come up with all those games? I love the Goomba stomping idea.

Brian always tells me that my big toes look exactly like a Goomba and he "stomps" them with his hand while humming the Mario theme.

Great job with the party. Take a break. You deserve it.

buildingburkmemories said...

what a fun birthday party..and (wow)..that is a lot of kids at your house..I'm sure it was very quite!...lol....You did a fantastic job on all of it..so very cute..I loved the pics...everyone looks so happy..High five!

Maren and Blake said...

The cake is so amazing. Blake and I can't get over how fun it is. I wish I could have been there. I bet I could have beat all of Micah's friends. We are so grateful to have Micah in our family. So much of Braden reminds me of him, which means I will be calling you and asking what I do with him. Love you all.

Rachael said...

What a fun fun party!!! I still remember Hilly & I driving up to Idaho to meet baby Micah. Can't believe he's 8 now! :)

Rachael said...

WAIT!!! We came to visit COLIN when he was born, didn't we??? Gosh - I always end up older than I think I am....

(Sorry!) :)