Friday, April 1, 2011

Catching up

It's been a busy couple of weeks, but the blog is always on my mind and here's my chance to do me a little catch up. The kids are ready for bed, Matthew's asleep, and Chad's at a Jazz game. Time to myself! ************************************************* For St. Patrick's Day I did Irish soda bread, corned beef and cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots. (Our house stank like cooked cabbage for about a week after this. Blech!) I set the table with our fancy dishes. This would be totally unlike our usual meals, which we use our everyday-ware. (Meaning totally mismatched. At one point we had full sets. Our dishes now are made up of about 4 different sets...or what is remaining of those sets, and plastic dishes. So the kids know it's something special when we use the nice ones.) We had lit candles, tablecloth, and everything. They requested that I speak with an Irish accent during the meal. Because that makes it authentic, dontcha know. Nice job feeding Matthew, Micah. No, seriously.
After putting off installing a baby gate, it came to the point where we really couldn't wait any longer. Our baby is mobile! And he's a busy one. So Chad pulled out the contraption and up it went. Lovely, isn't it? Speaking of safety, a couple of weeks ago Mira and Micah were sitting at the top of the stairs, playing a board game. Mira had her back to the stairs. She leaned back and tumbled backwards all the way down. Scary! I don't think they'll be playing any more games in that particular spot. Our puddy.

Hi-i!
Micah and Mira were rocking out together one day and requested some pictures. Is it me or do their faces look nearly identical here? Maybe it's the pose...
Colin was helping clean up from dinner and actually allowed me to photograph him. Well, he didn't run away at least. Today the kids said something to the effect of, "We hate being off track!" Me: "Really? I thought you'd like it." They: "No, because you make us do chores all day!" (Hardly the case. Instruments, pick up their rooms, one additional chore.)
Colin is so sweet with Matthew. He doesn't get upset when interrupted during his favorite activity.
This is how you'll find Ella many times. Playing by herself. Pretending. She loooves it.
Micah has some nice, cushy carpet since we finished his room. The rest of us are jealous and want such comfy carpet. He lets the girls come in for a sleepover sometimes while they're off track or on a weekend.
Chad and Colin have been keeping up with the Jazz. Even with their performance struggling right now, they are true fans.
One Sunday, before church, Mira thought we both looked pretty good, so she wanted to be sure we caught it on camera.
Doll face!
So you remember the blanket and bump on the tongue? Dentist says we have to get rid of ninny. So I told Mira I'd buy her something special to replace it. I wasn't terribly surprised when she chose Rapunzel. I think Mira dreams about having long locks. I tell her I can do all those neat hairstyles if she'll just stop cutting her own hair!!
And Mira is a smarty pants! I think some of it simply comes from having older siblings and following their lead. But look at what this four year-old is learning to do! And just from watching me spend a little time teaching Ella. She did this tie herself.
Here she is working on the other shoe. Nevermind that they're on the wrong feet. :)
The girls had their friend Sam over and they built this totally awesome tower. They were oh-so proud!
In our family, we'll discuss our favorite things about Matthew. And I think this is one of mine. When he stands in front of the tub, just as excited as could be to get in there. Look at that tush!!

I've been wanting to do something fun for April Fool's day. I even spent some time doing research as to what I could do. But so many of the ideas either seemed cruel or too complicated. So I settled for this. Friday night is movie night and treats. For treats I passed these out and said, "Who's ready for buttered popcorn? April Fool's! They're cupcakes!" Except it kind of didn't turn out the way I'd planned because they saw me in the process of making them. And also, movie night kind of didn't happen because they played Wii for about 3 hours. Which someone wasn't happy about because he'd gone to the trouble of picking out Free Willey 3 for us and I had to put it off for another day.
The kids have been off track and I love it now that we've had glorious sunshiny days. We even went shopping for shorts and swimsuits. At the DI. Man, I love that place. What to do with the next week? Only one more week til they go back? I love having them home!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

Thank you for this post. It was much needed. Especially a cute little Matthew bum. I swear. I could just give him smooches all day long.

I can't wait to see you again. We miss you dearly and Blake misses hanging out and watching the Jazz with the boys.