Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Moving Out

This afternoon Micah told me he was moving out. Why? Because I said I couldn't jump on the tramp with him when we got home. I had dinner to prepare, Matthew to feed and change, and piano to practice. He proceeded to tell us where he would be staying (in the tunnel by his elementary school), what he would take, and so forth.
When I asked him, "What happens when you are hungry?"
He said, "I'll take apples, asparagus, and green beans with me."
"And what about when those are gone?"
"I'll take my money."
"And when that runs out?"
"Well, I know the code to the garage and I'll just come in the house when no one's home and get some more food."
"What if you get sick? Who's going to take care of you?"
"I'll come home just until I get better." (Then he thinks for a moment.) "No, I'll take some ibuprofen and band aids with me."
So, when we got home he packed up two large suitcases and a duffle bag. The girls helped him. Then he lugged those things down our sidewalk. I thought he was calling my bluff and I wasn't going to play that game. I would let him come home when he realized how hard it is to carry those very far. The girls came in for dinner upset because they didn't want Micah to leave. Chad had just come home from work and thought we should tell Micah enough's enough. I was leaning toward doing some "sneaky peeky spying" (as Junie B. Jones would say) and follow him without his knowing.
We started eating dinner and got a knock on the door. Our neighbor noticed he had just crossed the street. Wow, okay, he made it farther than I thought he would. Then another neighbor calls to inform us she noticed our son heading away from home with two large suitcases. Then Micah calls. He stopped a couple and asked to borrow their phone. In tears, he asked Chad to come get him. The couple stayed with Micah until Chad arrived. Apparently Chad got the evil eye from this couple who probably couldn't believe we'd heartlessly allow our child to run away. When he got home we had a heart-to-heart with our boy and expressed our sincere love for him. Did he not know? It was a lesson to me that we can come from two distinctively different perspectives, totally unawares of the other's.
But a promise was made: no more moving out.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

It must be hard as a parent to know what the right thing to do is. I'm glad everything worked out in the end.