Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Our Yard

It is wonderful to sit out in our yard and take in all the beautiful things growing around. Luckily for us, the previous owner was a pretty great gardener and really went to town on the trees and flowers. So now our biggest responsibility is weeding. And I don't mind it as long as I'm not doing it in the heat of the day.


This is Chad's favorite spot in the backyard. It has hollyhocks, tiger lilies, Canterbury bells, clover, and others for which I do not know their names (but I will learn!). The girls get a great view from their bedroom window.
And when we're sitting at our outdoor table, we get a beautiful view of mountains and sky only. It will be wonderful to watch these trees grow. Now isn't that a gorgeous sky? It looks like a painting. We have many colorful snapdragons and these pink daisy-like flowers. So interesting for the eye. A couple of these trees in the edge (the purple leaved ones) drive me bonkers. They are coming out as soon as I figure out what to replace them with. They grow messily and send out shoots which I'm constantly trimming back so it doesn't look like one big bush. Ideas for me? I think they are going to be a challenge to remove.
This is my favorite growing flowering spot. It is pretty right now, but in later summer it's practically blooming over and I adore it. I'm always drawn to it. Our wine barrel holds lettuce.
This is Chad's baby this year. He's worked hard planning and putting in the garden. We've got carrots, onions, cucumbers, green beans, peas, bell peppers, pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, asparagus, and tomatoes. A few of these are going to be trial and error, I do believe. I don't know how some of the melons are going to do. We are anxiously awaiting a good crop of tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers. We've been harvesting the peas for a while, now. Chad takes some to work for lunch every day.
And now for the front yard. I wish I had a wide-angle lens to better capture all the pretty things growing. Lots of yellow.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Wow, your yard is huge! I'm envious of all your flora and fauna...and also your view. Lovely.

Maren and Blake said...

The picture with the playground almost looks exotic. I am jealous of your well grown yard. It's nice and flat and truly looks like a sancutuary.