Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Big Goal

This has been a while in coming. It's something that's been nagging me at the back of my mind. When I've considered doing it, I get that queasy feeling in my gut. But I've finally come to the decision that I'm going to run a half-marathon in May.


I'm close to a couple of overachievers. Chad has run a half-marathon and a full. My sis-in-law, Maren, has done both as well. In fact, she's been a big source of encouragement. She keeps asking when I'm going to do it. There are some ladies at the gym who've done it and say I should, too.


I've felt overwhelmed at the thought of going for 13.1 miles. It's terribly far! The most I've ever run at once was about 8 or 9 miles, which was a few years ago. Right now, after some concerted effort, I'm at 4 miles. And getting that 4 miles out today was not easy. My original thinking was I wanted to run the whole 13 miles. But after this morning, I'm wondering if that isn't a bit lofty?


I'm reading a great little book, "Marathoning for Mortals" which leads me to believe this goal I have is actually achievable. The hardest part will not be running the 13 miles, but the training. It's not something I can decide a month beforehand to do. I've got to have a training schedule and put in the time each week.


I look at other people who have accomplished this and realize that they are not more capable than I am. They just decided they were going to do it dedicated themselves to it.


And that's where this journey begins. May, in Ogden is where it plays out.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Nicole, I am seriously rooting for you! I haven't ran in years and so I'm extremely impressed with even your 4 miles. Keep us posted on your progress.

Maren and Blake said...

It is about time. There is no reason I am able to run over you. Just like you said, I decided I would do it and then did it. The goal to run the whole thing is more than achievable. Your body will hurt at times, but it will be worth. This is something that only you can do and NOBODY can take that away from you.

You are an inspiration to me. It's really showing your kids that at any point in your life (especially a crazy life with 5 kids) you can set and achieve new goals. Way to go Nicole. I will mentally be on runs with you.