Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is Santa Real?

I have been peppered with questions regarding Santa's authenticity for weeks now. "Mom, just tell us; Is Santa real?" To that I ask, "What do you think?" or "I love believing in Santa Claus." or "How would you feel if you found out he wasn't real?"

Tonight, as I sat on Colin's bed we talked. It is rare that I get time alone with him. Chad usually takes over bedtime with the boys downstairs. I treasured this time with him tonight. He recited part of the preamble to the Declaration of Independence he memorized just because he wanted to. He told me about things having to do with his classmates. Then we got to the subject of Santa. I could see he was struggling with wanting to know versus the possibility of there truly being no Santa. Several times he said, "Mom, just tell me if he's real." I asked, "Do you really want to know?" Then he wavered and said, "I don't know!" I asked, "What would it mean to you if I told you he wasn't real?" He replied, "It would mean that you and Dad buy all our presents at WalMart." (dun-dun-duuun.) We had a good laugh over the way he said it. Finally he decided to wait until after Christmas to find out whether Santa's real.

I feel a little sad.

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

Why is he getting so old? I dread the day, but love how you put the phrase, "I love believing in Santa." Because even as a 28 year old mom of almost 3, I still LOVE believing in Santa.