Saturday, March 3, 2012

Washers, Gross-Out Things, Snow Play

I discovered this past week our washer seemed to be leaking. It came as no shock. Our machine has put in a good life's work for all the loads of laundry its done. I put it up on KSL for free and was immediately bombarded with call after call. When the winner came to pick it up, I discovered something else: the hot water spigot was leaking. On top of that, the floor drain wasn't allowing any water to drain. Then, lo and behold, as I go into the basement to shut off the main water valve, I see water dripping into the toy room. As I run around like a crazy person, calling Neerings, moving things out of the toy room, and calling Chad to update him, I thank my lucky stars the basement isn't finished in that spot. After that little emergency was taken care of, I did some quick serious online research on washing machines. I ended up running to Sears (Mira and Matthew in tow) and picked up this beauty:
I've never had a front loader before. I've kind of wanted one for a while, but not like I'm going to give up a working washing machine just to get a new one, right? Matthew's been fascinated with all the buttons and dials he can reach. Thankfully, it has a "lock" button so that all his button-pressing doesn't affect anything!

In other news, Micah picked up a rather disgusting book at the library this week. It's on how to make realistic gross-looking things: scabs, vomit, snot, etc. (Oh, boys!) I don't gross out easily, but this book does it for me. Unfortunately, he needed some help with making this beauty:


It's supposed to end up with you looking like a scarface, but really it looked to me like he had warts growing all over.


It was all I could do to help him stir it up and smear it on his face.


Today being Saturday, we slacked on chores. (That's been a bit of a trend for us lately.) The kids earned a trip to the "real" movie theater. (As compared to what we'd otherwise splurge on: the dollar movie theater.) We've been reading the Book of Mormon as a family, and we get rewards along the way. We finished Alma recently, and that being a biggie, we agreed that we could all go to the movie theater. This morning Mom graciously came to stay with Matthew so we could all go and enjoy "The Secret World of Arietty" together. The kids really enjoyed it. It got great reviews, and I would recommend it. That said, it's anime--not that it's less desirable than, say, Pixar, but you have to go in expecting that if you're not used to it.

We'd all planned on going swimming afterward, but the girls decided they'd rather go sledding. We never even went last year. I agreed to take the girls while Chad took the three boys swimming. I wish I could've taken pictures of them swimming because I know they had fun, but this is where I was and what I got: Cute Ella-Bella with a big smile on her face.



Silly girls!





I just love this one of Mira. It doesn't show up in the picture quite like it did in person, but her cheeks were as pink as her snow bib. She was having a blast going down the hill on her belly!


And Ella, with her windswept hair. Do we have beautiful girls, or what?


Whee! I tried to get one of the girls cuddling up together, but they were all giggles and silliness.



Mira and me:



Moi!


Mira, with Ella in the background:


3 comments:

Marsha said...

That is a sweet washing machine. I also want a front loader, but have a working machine...for now.

I skimmed the "gross" make-up photos, but found the photos of your pink-cheeked girls adorable.

Maren and Blake said...

A much needed post. The washing machine looks great. I hope you continue to love it. The girls sledding is so cute. You can tell they absolutely love eachother. It was so nice being able to see and talk with you guys today. although it was loud and we could hardly hear you, I could tell my boys are thrilled to see you guys in a couple of weeks.

Jennettehogan said...

oh Nicole, I cannot believe how big your cute family is getting!! I hope that we can get together again this summer, We miss you guys! Last year I got my front loader machines and absolutely LOVE them! It makes laundry a little more fun (just a little, but I will take what I can get!) I think that you will really enjoy them!!